Aromatherapy has many benefits, but please ensure that safety precautions are taken when handling essential oils.
While they may seem harmless (they are extracted from plants, after all), they DO need to be diluted before applying directly to the skin.
- · Read all label warnings and know the contraindications
- · Keep essential oils away from your eyes. If an oil comes into contact with your eye, flush it out with large quantities of warm water and immediately seek medical advice
- · Keep essential oils away from children, who may think they can ingest them because of how they smell
- · Essential oils should be diluted in a carrier before being applied to the body. NEVER use undiluted essential oils directly onto the skin. This can cause redness, burning, itching and irritation
- · Never ingest essential oils
Essential oils have wonderful medicinal benefits, but if used improperly the effects can be dangerous.